Lending money to friends becomes a difficult choice at times. Money has the tendency to create rifts between closely bonded people. Yet money is a topic that becomes unavoidable.
Lending and borrowing between friends can lead to sequences of debts, debt traps, uninvited apprehension and animosity. Situations where the money is borrowed, and half-returned, partially returned or in the worst case scenario not returned creates an unpleasant situation
However we can create a space of clarity in the money matters between friends if we follow some ground rules. They are listed below.
- 1. Lending should always be a situational process. You should assess the urgency of the situation. . If a friend asks us to open a credit card in our name for their use or asks us to guarantee their loan, then you should consider its consequences. We should not put ourselves in a situation where some one else’s actions can affect our credit. Their wrong usage can disrupt our credit score, thus lowering our chances of getting loans.
- 2. Lending should be within limits. Even if it is a friend that we are talking about, we need to still evaluate the amount that we lend. Do not nod in agreement for an amount that can push you in a debt trap.
- 3. It is also imperative to gain access to the details of where the money would be utilised. Here we are not talking about the trust, of course we trust the people here who borrow. But knowing where the money would be spent will give us a better knowledge of whether it is being put in the right use or now. It will also help us in acknowledging whether the situation deserves a loan or not.
- 4. Discussing it clearly might seem like an awkward idea to begin with. However having the terms and conditions set in the beginning leads to a smoothly painted financial end. Repayment period, interest rates and the loan amount itself should be discussed in detail to avoid any misconception or a possible rift.
- 5. Draft an agreement. In case you are lending a large sum of money, having a financial agreement worded in paper is always a good idea. Both the parties know the exact details of when, how and why. This just clears the air and avoids conflicts.
6. Also a great option for them is to borrow through the new-age and financially sound institutions.
EarlySalary is one such platform that provides instant cash at ease without the hassle and obstacles. So refer EarlySalary to your friend and be a friend in need.